Sunday, December 9, 2012

Advent Family Devotions Saturday, December 8, 2012



Like Adam and Eve




Opening Prayer:

Holy God,  save Your people and come to them. Do not let the world overcome them. Amen.

Scripture:  1 Thessalonians 3:13
"May [He] establish your hearts blameless in holiness before our God and Father, at the coming of our Lord Jesus with all his saints."


Meditation:
What comes to your mind when You hear the words "blameless" and "holy"? I think of Adam and Eve before they turned from God and sinned. They had no evil thoughts. They did nothing wrong. They were completely innocent and blameless before God.

No one I know, myself included, is like that today. The Bible says, "We have all sinned and fall short of  glory of God" (Romans 3.23).  Everyone has to admit that. The Small Catechism says "We daily sin much and deserve nothing but God's wrath." No matter how hard we try to be good, we will never be good enough for God. No matter how hard we try to be the perfect child, parent, or Christian, we will never be able to do it.

God knows this, and that is why He sent His perfect Son, Jesus. Jesus came to show us our sin and to forgive us of our sin by His dying on the cross. He came to establish our "hearts blameless in holiness." He came to make us like Adam and Eve before they sinned.

Martin Luther recommended that everyday Christians should wake up and make the sign of the cross to remind them who they are and to whom they belong. He also recommended they say, "I pray that You would keep me this day from all sin and evil and that all my doings in life may please you. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul and all things..."

God will make us the way we need to be as we wait for His coming again.  Amen

For Discussion:
1. In what ways have you displeased God?
2. How did Jesus bring us holiness?
3.Do you think God will help you in your holiness if you ask Him?

Closing Prayer:
Dear Jesus, forgive me of all my sins, and help me everyday neither to fall into any kind of sin or danger. Amen

Hymn:  "Let Me Learn of Jesus"


Let me learn of Jesus;
He is kind to me;
Once He died to save me,
Nailed upon the tree.

When I go to Jesus,
He will hear me pray,
Make me pure and holy,
Take my sins away.

Let me think of Jesus;
He is full of love,
Looking down upon me
From His throne above.

Oh, how good is Jesus!
May He hold my hand
And at last receive me
To a better land.

No comments: