Friday, December 7, 2012

Advent Family Devotions for Friday, December 7, 2012


Someone Will Come

Opening Prayer:
Dear Jesus, thank You for coming at Christmas to be our Savior. Amen.

Scripture:
"Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!  We bless you from the house of the Lord."
  Psalm 118.26

Meditation:
     What would you teach your children to do if they were lost in the woods?  That's a scary thought.  There are number of things that they should not do.  The United States Search and Rescue Task Force has a website that teaches children what they should do if they become lost in the woods.  One of the most important things they should do is to stay in one place.  They need to know that someone will come to them. Someone will find them.

     One of the most important truths of the Bible is that God comes to help and save His people. God came to Adam and Eve after they got lost in sin to talk to them, to lead them to repentance, and to forgive them. God came to Abraham when he was lost and wandering to give him a promise that He would bless him.  God came to Job when he was lost in pain and suffering to help and to heal him.

     When we feel like we are lost in this world, when we lose our way spiritually by turning away from God, we can be happy that God does not turn away from us.  He will come to us. He does come to us.  God sent His Son Jesus to save the entire world that was lost in sin.

     God came to us in our baptisms. He comes to us through His Word and in Holy Communion. Sometimes God comes to us through His helpers - our parents, teachers, pastors and friends.  When we feel a little lost, we can take be sure that someone will come. God will come.

For Discussion:
1. Talk about a time when you were lost.  How did you feel?
2. How were you found?  How did you feel about that?
3. As Christmas comes, how do we feel about God coming to us in Jesus?

Closing Prayer:
Dear God, if I ever get lost, help me to look to You, because I know You will help me. You sent Your Son to save me.  Amen.

Hymn: "I Am So Glad When Christmas Comes"

Click here for the melody.


I am so glad when Christmas comes,
The night of Jesus’ birth,
When Bethl’em’s star shone as the sun
And angels sang with mirth.

The little child of Bethlehem,
The King of heav’nly grace,
Came down from His exalted throne
To save our fallen race.

He’s now returned to heav’n above,
God’s Son He is alway;
He ne’er forgets His little ones
But hears them when they pray.

I too would sing my Savior’s praise,
My joy, my crown, my Lord;
For He has made me His own.



No comments: