Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Advent Family Devotions December 19, 2012

Adam and Christ




Opening Prayer:  Dear Lord, our world is decaying and dying, but Christmas reminds us how You are renewing all things. For that we give thanks. Amen.

Scripture:   1 Corinthians 15.22

"For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ shall all be made alive."

Meditation:  

In Augustine, Florida there is a park known as the Fountain of Youth Archeological Park.  The park was founded by Luella Day McConnell, "Diamond Lil" in 1904. She said that this is where a famous Spanish explorer Ponce de Leon once landed in search of the Fountain of Youth.  There are many stories in different cultures about a "Fountain of Youth." Supposedly the water from such a fountain can keep a person young!  But there is no such thing as a Fountain of Youth. 

Satan attacked Adam and Eve and tempted them to sin. With sin came suffering and death. We cannot escape from this whether we look for a literal Fountain of Youth or whether we try to be eternally young with a healthy lifestyle, with medicine or with new technologies.  

On the other hand Jesus brought life.  This is not an escape from old age and death, but it is a miracle that brings life out of death.  Jesus said, "I am the Resurrection and the Life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, yet shall he live. And whoever lives and believes in Me will never die" (John 11.25-26).  Jesus could say this because He also brought us the forgiveness of our sins.  God doesn't want people to look for a Fountain Youth. He wants them to find eternal life in Jesus.  

For Discussion:

1.  Young people can't wait to grow older.  Old people wish they could grow younger. What should we do with these feelings and desires?  (Be thankful for the life God has given us or will give us. Live in the best way possible by faith whether we are young or old. Look forward to the eternal life that Jesus promises.)  

2.  What can help us do what is described above?  (Listen to Jesus and all that He teaches us in the Bible. Pray for faith and the good life that flows from faith in Christ.)  

Closing Prayer:  Dear Jesus, thank You for all the life that You have given me. Help me to live it in the best way and to look forward to the eternal life You have given to all who believe in You. Amen.  

Hymn:  "I Am Jesus' Little Lamb"

Henrietta L. von Hayn, 1724–82; tr. composite

Click here for melody by Chapel of the Cross Lutheran Church, St. Louis.


I am Jesus’ little lamb,
Ever glad at heart I am;
For my Shepherd gently guides me,
Knows my need and well provides me,
Loves me ev’ry day the same,
Even calls me by my name.

Day by day, at home, away,
Jesus is my staff and stay.
When I hunger, Jesus feeds me,
Into pleasant pastures leads me;
When I thirst, He bids me go
Where the quiet waters flow.

Who so happy as I am,
Even now the Shepherd’s lamb?
And when my short life is ended,
By His angel host attended,
He shall fold me to His breast,
There within His arms to rest.




No comments: