Wednesday, January 5, 2022

F3

Back in December I started working out with F3, which stands for F3 Nation - Fitness, Fellowship, Faith. F3 is a nationwide, free, peer-led fitness movement for men. Our group meets at Drost Park in Maryville rain or shine three times a week from 5:30-6:15 a.m. We have anywhere from four to eight guys show up. They have a lot of different workouts, and most of them are pretty intense. They are Marine Corps level for sure (but that was forty years and forty pounds ago!). Each man works out at his own pace, modifying the exercises as necessary. The goal is "to leave no man behind, but no man where he is." A typical workout would include a variety of burpees, push ups, sit ups, bear crawls, squats, etc., etc., etc. Sometimes we use a concrete block to drag along with our bear crawl, for kettle ball swings, or for military presses ("face scrapers," as they like to say). They have a whole "Exicon" describing all the different exercises. Right now I'm participating at a 50-75% level and building up. After the workout we come together for the "Circle of Trust." This is a brief time to share any concerns or prayer requests. F3 is not specifically Christian. Like AA, they ask that everyone believe in something other than themselves. "FNGs," or "Friendly New Guys," have to tell a little bit about themselves. Then they are given a F3 name. I told my group that getting up in the dark reminded me of my paperboy days - and that's how I got my name.
Come and join us anytime.

No comments: