Friday, November 26, 2010

Faith and Thanksgiving


Most popular Thanksgiving illustration from yesterday's sermon:

A pastor goes to eat at a restaurant by himself. A stranger joins him at his table. When their food arrives, the pastor bows his head and silently prays.

The stranger asks: "Do you have a headache?" "No," the pastor says.

"Is your food okay?" "Yes, I was just giving thanks," the pastor says.

"Oh, you're one of those guys," the stranger replies. "I work for my money and pay for my food. I don't give thanks to anyone. I just dig right in."

The pastor smiles a bit and then says, "Yeah, that's what my dog does too!"

Giving thanks to God is the first response of the gift of faith. No faith, No thanks.

[This illustration was adapted from Ray Stedman, Folk Psalms of Faith]

No comments: