Saturday, August 7, 2010

Red Chair Videos

In last week's Bible class I gave a little overview of the 2010 Convention of the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod. Despite the structural changes and the election of a new president opposed to many of those changes, there were a number of important decisions. I appreciated, for example, the decision to speed up the process of declaring fellowship with emerging confessional churches. I liked the decision to continue the great work being done to combat malaria around the world. One of my favorite decisions was one encouraging family devotions. I'm a bit partial to that one because I helped write the resolution.

One of the most enjoyable aspects of the convention for me was the Red Chair videos. Conventions need something to give delegates a little break from the concentrated focus on resolutions and debate. The Red Chair videos were stories of forgiveness told by the members of the Council of Presidents and the Synod President and Vice Presidents. I especially liked President Kieschnick's story about a school prank in which he was involved. These videos help capture the important theme of the convention: One People Forgiven. Despite the difficulties involved in all conventions, we can be eternally grateful that we are united in the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

No comments: